Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Key Chains - Appreciating Your Own Art

I'm really sleepy right now but I see that I have a "Key Chains" headline up top so I'm going to try to write something about it.

Well, the only logical explanation that I have for making the key chains depicted is because they came in groups of four. Well, they didn't come that way,

  • the canvases were purchased blank
  • the paint was purchased tubed
  • my mind was blank until it filled with these ideas
  • then I painted the ideas that were in my mind onto the blank canvases with the clueless paint


The four Mariachi Cyclops paintings were made in my former house in Valley Center, California.
They were completed shortly before my first son was born. He'd later learn the words.

  • painting
  • violin
  • guitar
  • drums
  • trumpet
Prior to that, I was introduced to sign language so in reality, his first sign word was the motion for painting. Now, he is a music fanatic. 

These paintings hold sentimental value because of this however, I was willing to let them go at the Exhibit. Paintings around them found new homes but they stayed which may be for a reason. 

Just a few days ago, I finished the "Sugar Skull" series. You can actually see the progress of them where they transform from a funny Neanderthal look to a more traditional skull. Because I purposely made two of each style, as a four piece they work. 

This was the same concept I used when I designed with the Mariachis. The difference with the Mariachis is that I used two styles of backgrounds each with their own color scheme. At this stage in my artistic journey, I find it more complete to do a series as opposed to just a one piece like I did with the "El Boracho" drawing. Perhaps I'll make it a three...or four since it sold. 

Speaking of El Boracho, around the time of that drawing, I used to have a keychain with a bottle opener on it. It was a Winnie the Pooh shape but nobody.... especially a drunkard could tell nor care. The important thing was releasing the drink from the bottle and draining it into your stomach pit in order to contaminate your blood with a temporarily fullfilling ahhhhh buzz.

My sons "yes I have two now" don't know what beer is. One day I'm sure they will. The important thing right now is to continue being a solid father to them and just be this portal for these skeletons. I know that they exist or have existed...otherwise it would be impossible to make them up.

"M.P. Skelletree....we command you to close your eyes. We are not your weariness...we are your energy and we need you to lie down so that we can escape into reality."

"But, don't you need me to paint you?"

( long silence ... whispering)

"You don't ... we do."






    No comments: