Thursday, August 2, 2012

Guitars Meant to be Played (Modifying 1)

"Playing guitar creates a oneness. Each generates an energy with its owner like a wizard with their wand. Therefore, magic exists."
Thasn't been one guitar I've owned that hasn't gone under some sort of modification. From the Zorlac stickers to glow-in-the-dark pin stripes, my guitars have gone through a lot. I bought a "Miller Genuine Draft" Fender Squire at a silent auction. It played nicely but the logo was too intense so with my high-school woodshop skills (the extent of my woodworking education), I
- removed the logo (sanded by hand)
- scalloped the neck (very daring because you only have one shot)
- coated it with a gloss finish
It was challenging and quite scary at times. For instance, during the gloss finish process, I'd hung it up and sprayed it whereupon the gloss started dripping like a melting candle. I quickly cleaned it with spirits from Home Depot and painted the gloss on. There are streaks which give it an originality. The scalloping of the neck was also scary. It was a process which involved sanding, cleaning, observing and touching. The patience proved worthwhile as it plays nicely. Some would question modifying such a unique guitar in the first place. My answer is simple.

"Guitars are meant to be played...not so much stared at."

Besides...the wood hidden beneath the graphics was nice in its natural state. As an inside joke, I left some of the original paint at the heal of the neck joint.

Here is an abstract recording I made with the guitar.

No comments: